Avraham Shalom Ben-Dor (born 1928 in Vienna) was head of GSS (Shin Bet) from 1981-1986. He resigned after being accused of ordering the killing of two Palestinian prisoners and organising the subsequent cover-up.
Early career[edit | edit source]
He joined the GSS in 1950, rising to the top position of Director by 1980.
Kav 300 affair[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Kav 300
After the hijacking of a bus from Tel Aviv on 12 April 1984, it was reported that all four hijackers had been killed. However, following publication of pictures taken at the scene it emerged that two surviving hijackers were questioned by Brigadier General Yitzhak Mordechai and then handed over to GSS agents who executed the prisoners - allegedly on the orders of Shalom.
During the subsequent investigation Shalom led an cover-up in the GSS which implicated Mordechai as responsible for the killings. In 1985 General Mordechai was put on trial but his acquittal led to questions being asked about Shalom's role.
The cover-up caused internal disorder and dysfunction within the GSS, but only became public when in May 1986 Attorney-General Yitzhak Zamir resigned after attempting to pursue a course of holding Shalom to account for falsifying evidence.
President Chaim Herzog controversially issued pardons to Shalom and four other GSS officers. In July 1986 during a high court appeal against the pardons it was revealed in a letter of application for pardon that Shalom claimed that all his actions were "authorised and approved". This placed responsibility on his immediate superior, the Prime Minister at the time - Yitzhak Shamir.
The public disquiet and pressure in legal circles on the case was one of the reasons behind the establishment of the Landau Commission into GSS "Methods of Investigation".
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Avraham (Shalom) Ben-Dor , profile on ISA website
- The Times (London), Friday 13 April, Tuesday 17 April 1984.
- Michael Keren (1995) Professionals against populism: the Peres government and democracy SUNY Press, ISBN 0-7914-2563-0 pp 32-33
- "Newly released papers reveal how Shin Bet tried to hide 'Bus 300' killings", 27 Sept 2001, Haaretz.com
- Middle East International, issue 276, page 5. Peretz Kidron.
- Michael Keren (2002) Zichroni v. state of Israel: the biography of a civil rights lawyer Lexington Books, ISBN 0-7391-0316-4 p 172
- By Eur, Europa Publications Staff, Europa Publications Staff Europa Publications (2002) The Middle East and North Africa 2003 Routledge, ISBN 1-85743-132-4 P 512
- Mideast File By Mekhon Shiloaḥ le-ḥeḳer ha-Mizraḥ ha-tikhon ṿe-Afriḳah Published by Learned Information, 1986 pp 592-593
- Middle East International, issue 279, pages 8-10. Peretz Kidron.