Mark Swanner is a CIA interrogator. He worked at the Abu Ghraib prison in 2003. A prisoner named Manadel al-Jamadi died during one of his interrogations while his wrists were tied behind his back.
Swanner claims that he did not harm al-Jamadi and that the death was accidental and unexpected. He has not been charged with a crime.
References[edit | edit source]
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- Marian Wang (9 February 2011). "CIA Officials Involved in Abuse and Wrongful Detention Rarely Reprimanded, Sometimes Promoted". ProPublica. http://www.propublica.org/blog/item/cia-officials-involved-in-abuse-and-wrongful-detention-rarely-reprimanded-s.
- Andrew Zajac and Cam Simpson (17 September 2006). "Bush plan may hinder abuse cases". Orlando Sentinel (Chicago Tribune): p. A.4.
- Peter Carlson (8 November 2005). "Merle Haggard, Still Playing The Country Contrarian". The Washington Post: p. C.02.
[edit | edit source]
- Jeff Stein (8 April 2009). "The Mysterious Case of CIA Interrogator Mark Swanner". Congressional Quarterly. http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/spytalk/2009/04/the-mysterious-case-of-cia-int.html. Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- Jane Mayer (2008). The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned Into a War on American Ideals. Doubleday. ISBN 0-385-52639-3. http://books.google.com/books?id=w8-y8v99TCIC&pg=PA253&lpg=PA253&dq=mark+swanner&source=bl&ots=X9wKAS600C&sig=EwRoU1ucmP79oKp3igW0DdyviYg&hl=en&ei=GhaVTLOyPISKlwextdijCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAzgo#v=onepage&q=mark%20swanner&f=false.
- Steven Lukes (December 2008). "Questions About Torture". European Political Science 7 (4): 404–410. doi:10.1057/eps.2008.48. http://www.palgrave-journals.com/eps/journal/v7/n4/full/eps200843a.html.
- "Homicide Unpunished". The Washington Post: p. A.14. 28 February 2006. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/27/AR2006022701320.html.
- "A Deadly Interrogation: Can The CIA Legally Kill a Prisoner?". Democracy Now!. 11 November 2005. http://www.democracynow.org/2005/11/11/a_deadly_interrogation_can_the_cia.
- "Human Rights Investigator, Attorney John Sifton: Torture Investigation Should Focus on Estimated 100 Prisoner Deaths". Democracy Now!. 14 May 2009. http://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/14/human_rights_investigator_attorney_john_sifton.
|30px||This biography of a person who has held a non-elected position in the Federal government of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|