Mehmet Eymür (born 1943 in Istanbul) is a retired Turkish intelligence official. He led the counter-terrorism department of the National Intelligence Organization (MIT), which he joined as a student in 1965 as a "pursuit officer" (Template:Lang-tr). He was the right-hand man for the MIT deputy undersecretary Hiram Abas, who was assassinated in Kadıköy, Istanbul after leaving the service.
Eymür is writing a series called Teşkilat ("Organization") about MİT and its Counter-Terrorism Department.
Career[edit | edit source]
Eymür gained fame for taking down numerous gangster in the "Godfathers Operation" (Template:Lang-tr) while heading the Smuggling Department, in concert with Atilla Aytek of the police force's smuggling department (Template:Lang-tr). He prepared the controversial 1987 MIT Report that targeted former high ranking civil servants and politicians such as Nevzat Ayaz, Ünal Erkan and Mehmet Ağar. He was forced to resign on 10 June 1988 due to pressure. The MIT said the report was prepared without proper authorization. His colleague Hiram Abas, who was also discharged at the time, was critical of Eymür for divulging information.
Susurluk period[edit | edit source]
When Tansu Çiller became prime minister, Eymür was appointed chief of the Special Intelligence Department (Template:Lang-tr). Next came the Operations Department (Template:Lang-tr), where he was deputy chief to Şenkal Atasagun. The two did not get along, so Eymür asked the undersecretary, Sönmez Köksal, for a different position. On 31 January 1995, he was moved to the newly-established Counter-Terrorism Department. The department, created on Çiller's orders, was active in the Kurdish–Turkish conflict. Eymür said he almost had the PKK's leader, Abdullah Öcalan, assassinated, but failed due to irresponsible management of fiscal resources and sabotage (external, and inside the agency). In a testimony to the Susurluk commission, Hanefi Avci, former chief of the police force's intelligence department, said that Eymür's "gang" was illegal.
Following the scandal, Eymür prepared what has come to be known as the Second MİT Report (the first was in 1987), based on the "Askar Simitko, Lazım Esmaeili and Tarık Ümit incident" file from his Counter-Terrorism Department. This report was controversial for being prepared without authorization, and then leaked.
Avni Özgürel of Radikal says that the Counter-Terrorism Department was preceded by the Special Intelligence Department led by Hiram Abas. Çiller created an intelligence organization separate from the MİT subservient to her, called the Public Security Department (Template:Lang-tr; KGB for short). Upon hearing news of unsavory activity from the organization, president Süleyman Demirel had it dismantled.
When Mesut Yılmaz replaced Çiller as prime minister, he ordered the fifty-person department dissolved. Eymür assigned to Washington, D.C. as a MİT representative to U.S. intelligence agencies and security firms. He also faced criminal charges in Turkey. Yılmaz said that the MİT strongly opposed Eymür's gang, and that such illegal activities now take place in the General Directorate of Security (police force) instead. Yılmaz said that the illegal group was loyal to Fethullah Gülen, a notable religious figure.
Eymür returned to Turkey in 1998 to help prepare a report against Atasagun, then the undersecretary of the MİT, who had recommended Eymür's dismissal and the dissolution of his Counter-Terrorism Department to Prime Minister Yılmaz in 1997.
Ergenekon[edit | edit source]
Most recently, he has been mentioned numerous times in the Turkish press as being the superior of Tuncay Güney; the mysterious figure, who helped launch the Ergenekon investigation. Eymür vehemently denies any connection.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
He has a spouse called Janset; a son, Alp, and a daughter, Ayşe. His father, Mazhar, was a member of the MİT's progenitor, the National Security Service (MAH). He took part in suppressing the Dersim rebellion. Eymür joined the agency after completing TED Ankara Koleji. He attended the İstanbul Academy of Economic and Financial Sciences (Template:Lang-tr).
References[edit | edit source]
- "Mehmet Eymür'den şok iddialar.." (in Turkish). Milliyet. 2008-10-28. http://www.milliyet.com.tr/Yasam/SonDakika.aspx?aType=SonDakika&ArticleID=1008865. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Çelik, Serdar (February/March 1994). "Turkey's Killing Machine: The Contra-Guerrilla Force". Kurdistan Report 17. http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/51/017.html. Retrieved 2008-09-20. (note: the author—actually Selahattin Çelik—is affiliated with the PKK)
- Beki, Mehmet Akif (1997-01-17). "Whose gang is this?". Turkish Daily News. Archived from the original on 2008-11-14. http://tdnarchives.blogspot.com/1997/01/whose-gang-is-this.html. "Mehmet Eymur, the present branch chairman of the counterespionage department in the MIT, was amongst Hiram Abas' team."
- Denker, Sema (2007-01-24). "Teşkilat'in Sırları" (in Turkish). Hürriyet. http://hurarsiv.hurriyet.com.tr/goster/haber.aspx?id=5824192. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- Mercan, Faruk (2000-04-12). "Özel Dostalar/Mehmet Eymür-İstihbaratçının dava dosyası" (in Turkish). Zaman. http://arsiv.zaman.com.tr/2001/02/08/odosya/mehmeteymur.htm. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "MİT'i sarsacak suçlama" (in Turkish). Hürriyet. 1998-08-24. http://dosyalar.hurriyet.com.tr/hur/turk/98/08/24/gundem/01gun.htm. Retrieved 2008-12-03.
- Şenkal Demir, Sedef (2008-08-13). "Ergenekon dosyasındaki 15 MİT raporu sahte çıktı" (in Turkish). Gazeteport. http://www.gazeteport.com.tr/GUNCEL/NEWS/GP_264536. Retrieved 2008-09-24. "Müsteşarlığımıza atfedilen 1987 tarihli MİT Raporu şeklinde bir belgeye kayıtlarımızda rastlanmadığı, ancak raporun, eski mensubumuz Mehmet Eymür tarafından, Teşkilat metot ve prensiplerine aykırı olarak ve hiyerarşik yapı içerisinde hiç bir emir ve izne dayanmaksızın hazırlanan 1987 tarihli etüt olduğunun değerlendirildiği..."
- Ünlü, Ferhat (2007-07-16). "'Abas: Başımıza ne geldiyse geveze Mehmet yüzünden geldi'" (in Turkish). Sabah. http://arsiv.sabah.com.tr/2007/07/16/haber,84E9E90717B54B7CA3927C82BD2B2B69.html. Retrieved 2008-12-18. "Başımıza ne geldiyse bu geveze Mehmet'in (Eymür) yüzünden geldi."
- "State gangs are being cleaned out". Turkish Daily News. 1998-08-25. Archived from the original on 2008-11-14. http://tdnarchives.blogspot.com/1998/08/state-gangs-are-being-cleaned-out.html.
- Akiner, Tolga (2008-11-27). "Güney, Mehmet Eymür’ün elemanı mı?" (in Turkish). Radikal. http://www.radikal.com.tr/Radikal.aspx?aType=RadikalHaberDetay&ArticleID=910303. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Yılmaz, Meltem (2008-11-28). "Yasadışı oluşum Emniyet'e kaydı" (in Turkish). Cumhuriyet. http://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/?im=yhs&hn=19978. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- "Eymür: Deniz Feneri case retaliation for Ergenekon probe". Today's Zaman. 2008-10-29. http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=157237. Retrieved 2008-11-29. [dead link]
- Mercan, Faruk (2004-09-06). "Asala operasyonlarını Kenan Evren'in kızı yönetti" (in Turkish). Aksiyon (Feza Gazetecilik A.Ş.) 509. http://www.aksiyon.com.tr/detay.php?id=15119. Retrieved 2008-12-13. [dead link]
- "MİT, Eymür için 'başına buyruk' dedi" (in Turkish). Gazeteport. 2008-10-31. http://www.gazeteport.com.tr/GUNCEL/NEWS/GP_314122. Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- Kilic, Ecevit (2008-12-01). "Kontr-Terör'ün resmi kaydı yok" (in Turkish). Sabah. http://arsiv.sabah.com.tr/2008/12/01/haber,848D2AC9821249D2B1AD650029AEEDCC.html. Retrieved 2008-12-03.
- Gurel, Soner (2008-11-28). "İşte Kontrterör’ün tartışmalı tarihi" (in Turkish). Hürriyet. http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/10459721.asp. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- Zaman, Amberin (2000-08-19). "Ex-Spy Spins Web of Collusion in Turkey's War Against Kurds". Los Angeles Times: p. A-2. http://articles.latimes.com/2000/aug/19/news/mn-7122. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- Atar, Ersan; Sik, Barsin (2000-05-23). "Eymur'un acik adresi elcilikte" (in Turkish). Milliyet. http://www.milliyet.com.tr/2000/05/23/t/haber/hab13.html. Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- Suzal, Savaş (2000-03-11). "Eymür: Teklif edilse CIA'de çalışabilirim" (in Turkish). Sabah. http://arsiv.sabah.com.tr/2000/03/11/g01.html. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Eymür, Mehmet (2008-12-02). "İstihbarat Uzmanları" (in Turkish). Anadolu Türk Interneti. http://www.atin.org/detail.asp?cmd=articledetail&articleid=511. Retrieved 2008-12-03.
- Eymür, Mehmet (2008-10-25). "Hukuk Mücadelem" (in Turkish). Anadolu Türk Interneti. http://atin.org/detail.asp?cmd=articledetail&articleid=507. Retrieved 2008-12-03.
- Ünlü, Ferhat (2007-07-19). "MİT'te iç çekişme entrikaya yol açtı" (in Turkish). Sabah. http://www.sabah.com.tr/2007/07/19/haber,4D36E8C34C434B5880E8E8BE1D3FF328.html. Retrieved 2008-12-18. "Mazhar Eymür de bir subaydı ve cumhuriyetin ilk yıllarında Dersim isyanının bastırılmasında rol almıştı." [dead link]