The Nationaal Coördinator Terrorismebestrijding (the NCTb) is the Dutch official counter-terrorism unit established in January 2005. It is, amongst other responsibilities, responsible for civil aviation. The NCTb is the responsibility of the Dutch Minister of Security and Justice (the lead minister for counter-terrorism).
The NCTb analyses terrorism threat and determines the domestic threat level in the Netherlands four times every year, the four threat levels used being: Minimum, Limited, Substantial, and Critical. The unit's official website, www.nctb.nl, was launched in 2005 and gives up-to-date information about the national anti-terrorism coordinator's assessment of the level of threat. The website also provides information for the public, companies, and government officials as to what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. The threat level was raised from limited to substantial in April 2007 when the NCTb revealed that the Netherlands has been specifically mentioned in international terrorists' websites, and that the country has 2,500 to 3,000 potential Islamic radicals.
The unit is involved in the investigation of Northwest Airlines flight 253, an attempted in-flight bomb attack that occurred on December 25, 2009. It concluded that the case originated at Lagos airport.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Homeland security in the UK: future ... - Google Books". Books.google.com. http://books.google.com/books?id=LSkpr77GElQC&pg=PA126&dq=%22nctb%22+terrorism&num=100&cd=1#v=onepage&q=%22nctb%22%20terrorism&f=false. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "Counter-Terrorism in Comparative ... - Google Books". Books.google.com. http://books.google.com/books?id=NPgAa9fEQqoC&pg=PT73&dq=%22nctb%22+terrorism&num=100&cd=2#v=onepage&q=%22nctb%22%20terrorism&f=false. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "Xinhua - English". News.xinhuanet.com. 2005-09-17. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-09/17/content_3501643.htm. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (2009-04-30). "Refworld | Country Reports on Terrorism 2008 - The Netherlands". UNHCR. http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/publisher,USDOS,,NLD,49fac697c,0.html. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Berkowitz, Ben (2009-12-26). "Airline suspect started out in Lagos - Dutch NCTb". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE5BP03420091226?type=marketsNews. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- [dead link]