National Anti Terrorism Exercises (NATEXs) also known as National Counter Terrorism Exercises (NCTE) are an exercise program involving the Australian Federal Government and all States and Territories. Australia’s national anti-terrorist arrangements are well practised with two major NATEXs held annually. The Attorney Generals Department manages the Counter-Terrorism Branch (CTB) which supports the National Counter-Terrorism Committee (NCTC) who run the exercise program.
The program includes discussion exercises, tactical response exercises, investigation and consequence management exercises and multi-jurisdictional exercises. Such incidents practised include recapturing buildings, freeing hostages, cordoning off areas or responding to a chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear or explosive attack.
NATEX exercises of various types are run and tested several times per year testing various elements of the Australian Defence Force such as the Tactical Assault Group (West & East), Special Operations Command (Australia) and Incident Response Regiment. Exercises involve various elements of State/Territory Police Forces such as their respective Police Tactical Group and various intelligence agencies and units such as ASIO. As well as involving various elements of the Federal Government exercises also test the capability, co-ordination and response of the State/Territory Government, State Emergency Services, the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department, the Australian Defence Force, the Australian Federal Police and other Commonwealth agencies.
Types of exercises[edit | edit source]
The National Counter Terrorism Co-ordination Centre maintains what is known as the 'National Exercise Program'. This program involves a range of tactical, operational and strategic level exercises, which are conducted on a rotational basis throughout all Australian States and Territories.
There are four main counter terrorism exercises conducted under the NCTC National Exercise Program:
- MJEX (Multi-Jurisdictional Exercise)
- ICMEX (Investigation and Consequence Management Exercise)
- TACREX (Tactical Response Exercise)
- DISCEX (Discussion Exercise)
Counter terrorism exercises[edit | edit source]
- 2011 - ‘Black Angus’ - Multi-agency counter-terrorism exercise held at Sydney Olympic Park testing police and other agencies response to Mumbai style terrorist attack.
- 2010 - 'Mercury 10' - Multi-jurisdictional counter-terrorism exercise held across ACT, Tasmania, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland and the Northern Territory.
- 2009/2010 - 'Prometheus', 'Proteus', 'Baccus' - Queensland Police exercise focus sing on a variety of State specific events/locations.
- 2009 - 'Hotel Taunt' - Queensland Police and Australian Customs Service exercise held in Brisbane.
- 2008 - 'Mercury 08' - Multi-jurisdictional counter-terrorism exercise held across Western Australia and Queensland.
- 2007 - 'Southern Contact' - Multi-agency counter-terrorism exercise held in Tasmania testing operational response of various agencies to incidents.
- 2006 - 'Blue Luminary' - Multi-Agency counter-terrorism exercise held in Sydney in preparation for the 2007 APEC summit.
- 2006 - 'Western Explorer' - Counter-terrorism response capability exercise held in Western Australia.
- 2005 - 'Mercury 05' - Multi-jurisdictional counter-terrorism exercise held in Victoria focused on prperation for the 2006 Commonwealth Games held in Melbourne.
- 2005 - 'Mars Anchor' - Australian Defence Force Special Operations Command counter-terrorism exercise held in prperation for Mercury 05 and the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
- 2004 - 'Mercury 04' - The inaugural multi-jurisdictional exercise involving Tasmania, South Australia, the Northern Territory and Victoria.
- 2003 - 'Scrummage' - Multi-jurisdictional counter-terrorism exercise held in preparation for the 2003 Rugby World Cup.
- 2001 - Major exercises held in preparation for the 2002 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting held in Brisbane.
Relevant units[edit | edit source]
- 22x20px Australian Defence Force - Tactical Assault Group, Incident Response Regiment
- 22x20px Police Tactical Group
- 22x20px Australian Federal Police - Operational Response Group
- 22x20px Australian Federal Police - Specialist Response and Security Team
- Template:Country data New South Wales - Tactical Operations Unit
- Template:Country data Northern Territory - Territory Response Group
- Template:Country data Queensland - Special Emergency Response Team
- Template:Country data South Australia - Special Tasks and Rescue Group
- Template:Country data Tasmania - Special Operations Group
- Template:Country data Victoria - Special Operations Group
- Template:Country data Western Australia - Tactical Response Group
- Template:Country data New Zealand - Armed Offenders Squad, Special Tactics Group
See also[edit | edit source]
- Police Tactical Group
- Special Operations Command (Australia)
- Tactical Assault Group
- Australian Special Air Service Regiment
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Mercury 05 NATEX
- Mercury 05
- Blue Luminary 06 NATEX
- WA exercise to test anti-terrorism responsiveness
- Defence force stages anti-terrorism exercise
- Nation's ability to respond to terrorism put to the test
- Black Hawks buzz the Bay
- Tasmania tests terrorism response
- Anti-terrorism exercise to test Melbourne's underground rail network