The National Security Bureau coordinates the work of Syria's intelligence agencies and advises the Syrian president. The individual intelligence agencies, however, in practice have a significant degree of independence and generally report directly to the president. The current head of the National Security Bureau is Ali Mamluk.
Heads of National Security Bureau[edit | edit source]
- Mohammed Saeed Bekheitan (2000 – June 2005)
- Hisham Ikhtiar (June 2005 – July 2012)
- Ali Mamluk (July 2012 – present)
Syrian intelligence agencies[edit | edit source]
- General Security Directorate
- Political Security Directorate
- Military Intelligence Directorate
- Air Force Intelligence Directorate
References[edit | edit source]
- "Bashar al-Assad's inner circle". BBC News. 12 August 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13216195.
- "Joint Proposal for a COUNCIL REGULATION concerning restrictive measures in view of the situation in Syria and repealing Regulation (EU) No 442/2011". EuroLex 52011PC0887. 2011. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2011:0887:FIN:EN:HTML. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Bar, Shmuel (2006). "Bashar's Syria: The Regime and its Strategic Worldview". Comparative Strategy 25: 426. http://www.herzliyaconference.org/_Uploads/2590Bashars.pdf. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Phares, Robert G. Rabil ; foreword by Walid (2006). Syria, the United States, and the war on terror in the Middle East. Westport (Conn.): Praeger security international. pp. 215. ISBN 9780275990152. http://books.google.com/books?id=M18Jj0bMMl0C&pg=PA215&lpg=PA215&dq=%22Ali+Mamlouk%22&source=bl&ots=ZeTSlg-ZDE&sig=jPftCT8YMQTiuOE3KLswh3TSgt4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9B4oUPinNaK8igLy3YGwDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Ali%20Mamlouk%22&f=false.