The Brotherhood of Eternal Love was an organization of psychedelic drug users and distributors that operated from the mid 1960s through the late 1970s in Orange County, California; they were dubbed the "Hippie Mafia". They produced and distributed drugs in hopes of starting a psychedelic revolution in the United States.
The organization was started by John Griggs as a commune (and got Timothy Leary to come out to their ranch in Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California) but by 1969 had turned to the manufacture of LSD and the import of hashish.
In 1970 The Brotherhood of Eternal Love hired the terrorist organization Weather Underground for a fee of $25,000 to help LSD activist Timothy Leary make his way to Algeria after he escaped from prison, where he was serving a 5-year sentence for possession of marijuana.
Their activities came to an end on August 5, 1972, when in a drug raid dozens of group members in California, Oregon and Maui were arrested, though all of them were released within months; some who had escaped the raid continued underground or fled abroad. More members were arrested in 1994 and 1996, and the last of them in 2009; he served two months in jail after pleading guilty to a single charge of smuggling hashish. A documentary (called "Orange Sunshine" for the LSD they produced) on the organization premiered in 2007, and in 2010 Nicholas Schou published a book on the brotherhood.
References[edit | edit source]
- Schou, Nick (Nov 12, 2009). ""Hippie Mafia" Hash Smuggler Arrested". http://hightimes.com/legal/ht_admin/6011. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Schou, Nick (7 June 2007). "Eternal Sunshine". OC Weekly. http://www.ocweekly.com/2007-06-07/features/eternal-sunshine/. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Brian Flanagan (2002) (mp4). The Weather Underground. The Free History Project. Event occurs at 0:59:00. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV7GSff4fIA. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- Rudd, Mark (2009). Underground: My Life with SDS and the Weathermen. New York City: William Morrow and Company. pp. 225-7. ISBN 978-0061472756.
- Schou, Nick (Dec 03, 2009). "Case Closed on "Hippie Mafia" Smugglers". http://hightimes.com/news/ht_admin/6053. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Orange Sunshine: The Brotherhood of Eternal Love and Its Quest to Spread Peace, Love, and Acid to the World, Nicholas Schou (Thomas Dunne Books, St. Martin's Press, 2010), ISBN 9780312551834.
[edit | edit source]
- The Brotherhood of Eternal Love by Stewart Tendler and David May (1984)
- Orange Sunshine Documentary Film Official Site