|The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB|
Front cover of The New Nobility
|Author(s)||Andrei Soldatov and Irina Borogan|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB (2010) is a non-fiction English-language book by Russian journalists and independent security service experts Andrei Soldatov and Irina Borogan. The introduction is written by Nick Fielding. It is the first book about the Russian secret services written by Russian journalists since 1994, when Yevgenia Albats published The State Within a State: The KGB and Its Hold on Russia - Past, Present, and Future.
In the 2000s (decade) the Russian Federal Security Service, the FSB was given more powers in fighting terrorism and protecting the political regime. The book is an investigation of the Russian security services' activities in 1990-2000s (decade).
Kirkus Reviews, on Jule 1, 2010:
"In short, clear chapters, the authors delineate with substantial evidence FSB activities at home (Lefortovo Prison) and abroad (assassinations and hacking).
A relentless investigation that demonstrates how, with Putin's rise, the KGB has taken its place “at the head table of power and prestige in Russia”."
In July 2011 the Russian version of the book has come out, published by Alpina Business Books/United Press (Sanoma Independent Media).
In August 2011 The Russian version of The New Nobility sat on seventh place on the best seller list of Knizhnoe Obozrenie. In early September it was the second place on the best seller list. On September 20 the authors were informed by Elena Evgrafova, a chief editor of the Alpina Business Books/United Press, that on September 14, the General Director of the Chekhov Poligraphic Complex, German Kravchenko, received a letter from the Moscow department of the FSB in which the Head of the 2nd Directorate of the 6th Inter-regional Section A.I.Sergeev requests information as to the identities of those individuals who placed the order for the publication of the book The New Nobility.
References[edit | edit source]
- THE NEW NOBILITY. The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
- Editor Review
- Russia's New Nobility. The Rise of the Security Services in Putin's Kremlin
- United Press released “The New Nobility”
- Knizhnoe Obozrenie (Russia's Books Review)
- FSB investigates the New Nobility
- Le site de François Bourin éditeur
- Tanapaev Publisher's site
- LIKE Publisher
- CITIC Press Corporation
[edit | edit source]
- The New Nobility website (English)
- FAS Secrecy News, September 13, 2010 "The New Nobility: Russia’s Security State"}
- Who really wields power in Russia | David Hearst | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk}
- State Security, Post-Soviet Style | By EDWARD LUCAS | The Wall Street Journal}